Ernesto Valverde speaks on his Future at Barcelona
Barcelona coach, Ernesto Valverde has spoken on his future at the club, revealing that he is open to staying at the club beyond this season.
Valverde lifted a Liga and Copa del Rey doubles last year and his side is currently three points clear at the top of the table after 17 games.
They have also reached the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League, where they will meet Olympique Lyonnais.
In spite of those successes, the coach sparked speculation about his future last week.
He said in an interview with Barca’s official TV channel that he did not know where he would be next season.
Speaking at a news conference ahead of FC Barcelona’s trip to Getafe on Sunday, Valverde sought to clarify his future.
He stated that while his contract with the club expires in June, his deal contains the option for a third season.
“I have a contract with the club which was two years plus an optional and at the end of the season we have to decide whether I continue or not,” he said.
“We will postpone that decision for further down the line, depending on how the season goes.”
Even, given his highly impressive domestic record since taking charge of the club in June 2017, Valverde does not enjoy the resounding backing of Barca supporters.