Guests jump from Window to Escape Death as fire guts Hotel in Lagos
Property worth millions of naira was yesterday destroyed by fire at the bar section, reception and some rooms at a hotel in Lagos State.
The fire, which started at about 4:30 pm was said to have completely razed down the bar.
The Guardian reports that the fire was caused by an electric spark at the bar area of the hotel.
The Managing Director of the hotel, Mr Osun Segun, described the incident as unfortunate, stating that the fire didn’t affect the entirety of the hotel, but rather the bar and some rooms.
He added that the management was on top the situation to restore normalcy and resume operation in earnest, just as he profusely apologized to guests lodging in the hotel, many of whom were seen clutching to their belonging and leaving in groups.
A guest who lost his all his property said he flew in from London some hours before the incident only to meet the fire tragedy just when he was about to relax from the jet lag.
“I am so traumatized and not in the best position to speak because I just flew in from London this afternoon to be with my family in Nigeria,” he said.
Also, another affected guest who declined to provide her name said she jumped from her room upstairs, which saved her from burning to ashes.
Showing off the bruises on her body, she added that she is left with no option than to relocate to another hotel. Though she decried the loss of some of her valuable property, she thanked God for saving her life.
Men of the Nigerian Police Force, Lagos State Fire Service and Lagos Response Unit (LRU) were on ground to restore normalcy and ensure no life was lost to the incident. The Managing Director of the hotel, however, added that only a guest sustained an injury and has been taking to a nearby hospital for treatment.