Four kids electrocuted after an electric cable fell on a container shop in Ondo State

Four kids electrocuted after an electric cable fell on a container shop in Ondo State

Four children, including two siblings, have lost their lives after getting electrocuted in their aunt’s shop in Ile Oluji/Okeigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State.

Four kids electrocuted after an electric cable fell on a container shop in Ondo State

The Public Relations Officer of the Ondo state police command, Mrs Funmilayo Odunlami, who confirmed the incident to newsmen, said an electric cable fell on the metal container shop inside which the children were playing, killing them.

An eyewitness who gave a detailed account of the incident to Punch said

“The electric cable fell on the container inside which the children were playing. They were rushed to the hospital, but there was no sufficient oxygen they could use for five of them. Four later gave up the ghost. But the case of the sixth child was not serious as she can walk and talk.

“The remaining two were taken to Trauma Centre in Ondo for treatment. One has been discharged, but the second child has been referred to OAU Teaching Hospital for treatment. Two of the victims came for holiday with aunt.”

Michael Barnabas, the BEDC’s Ondo State Corporate Affairs Manager, claimed the incident was fatal because the metal container store was under a high tension electric cable.

“Sadly, we received information about the electrocution of four little children within our network in Ile-Oluji due to an 11kv line that snapped. As a company, we condole with the families of the children because life is very sacred and should not end prematurely this way.

“According to information available to us, the children were in an iron container shop that was directly under an 11kv line that snapped which led to their electrocution when they had contact with the wire. The deaths would have been avoidable if there was nothing within the 11meters right of way statutorily required for such line.” Punch quoted him as saying.”

Four kids electrocuted after an electric cable fell on a container shop in Ondo State

Four kids electrocuted after an electric cable fell on a container shop in Ondo State

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: